ABOUT UCP CHARTER SCHOOLS:
UCP Charter Schools are a consortium of inclusive Charter Schools operated by UCP of Central Florida. UCP of Central Florida is a non-profit organization under 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code since 1955.
UCP SCHOOLS INCLUDE:
- UCP East Orange/Bailes Charter School - Infants – 5th Grade
- UCP Downtown/BETA Charter School – Infants – 5th Grade
- UCP Osceola Charter School – Toddlers – 3rd Grade
- UCP Pine Hills Charter School – Toddler – 5th Grade
- UCP Seminole Charter School – Toddler – 3rd Grade
- UCP Transitional Learning Academy Charter School – Middle- High School (and 18-21 year old program) – ESE Students Only
- UCP West Orange Charter School – Toddler – 5th Grade
The mission of the UCP Charter School is to create a fully inclusive learning community where all students, parents, and professionals appreciate and value diversity in all forms. Students are educated to become conscientious, responsible citizens, whereby they assume the role of life-long learners as they reflect upon and contribute to the cultural and civic life of the community. UCP's board and team members envision a day when all people are measured by the potential of what they can do rather than by what they cannot. A world where people with and without disabilities learn, work and play together - where each person can excel without limitations.
Students at UCP Charters School are supported to achieve high standards in both their academic and personal development through a research-based educational program utilizing arts and technology integration and project-based curriculum integration approaches. The educational program is carefully designed to engage students in hands-on problem solving activities at levels appropriate to their unique needs.
UCP Charter Schools are accredited through AdvancEd (formerly SACS).
- UCP East Orange/Bailes Charter School – School Year 2016-2017 – “C”. Note this grade reflects over 50% of the students tested had an IEP/504 Plan. 67% of 3rd grade students passed the FSA (compared to District/State average of 50%)
- UCP Downtown/BETA, UCP Pine Hills and UCP West Orange – School Year 2016-2017 – “F” – Note this grade reflects testing only 10-14 students in each grade with 70-90% students with a disability. This was the first year of school grades so also does not have a baseline to compare so no credit for learning gains was provided.
- UCP Transitional Learning Academy – School Year 2016-2017 – ESE Center School – School Improvement Rating
- UCP Osceola Charter School and UCP Seminole Charter School – 2016-2017 - No Grade due to grade levels served
Charter School Compliance:
As a public Charter School, UCP of Central Florida is legally required to have an all-volunteer board of directors. Charter schools, as public schools, serve the community and do not operate for any individual’s personal gain and they are eligible for special treatment, such as tax exemptions. The charter school is required to have a governing board to ensure that its operations continue to focus on serving the public.
The volunteer Charter School board of directors provides feedback and suggestions to assist in the success of the Charter School programs of UCP of Central Florida.
Some of the basic responsibilities include:
- School Improvement
- Health and Safety
- Related Services (nursing, therapy)
- Charter School Finances
- Public Awareness/Marketing of School
- Parent Involvement/Volunteering
- Legislative Education
- Special Projects
The Charter School board seeks to represent the diverse Charter Schools it serves with representation from parents from each of the UCP Charter School campuses. Additionally, members of the community with education and programmatic expertise are invited to participate.
UCP Charter School Board Info:
Charter Board Minutes - School Year 2016/2017